WNYHeroes Grant Programs
Our grant programs are for WNY residents only. WNY is defined as anyone legally residing in any of the surrounding 8 counties. We have many veterans/ families who are referred to us through the Dept of Veterans Affairs, Vet Center, Veterans Court, Veterans Homeless Center, Erie County Veterans Office as well as the WNY Veterans Housing Coalition. WNYHeroes strives to make sure that our heroes are taken care of. All checks now are written to the landlord, utility company, Mortgage Company not to exceed the value of each program. The grants are renewable once every two years. These programs are NOT an entitlement program.
The grant money goes to help veterans/ families with rent, mortgage, utilities, food, holiday meals, medical bills, etc. WNYHeroes will not provide a grant for anything that is means not a necessity i.e. parking tickets, internet, cell phone, unless the cell phone is the only of communication. We also have our annual Christmas toy drive and Backpack drive. Medaille College, National Fuel is our biggest sponsor of those programs.
The program also has a four page application that must be completed listing all income, disability ratings, and size of family. If a grant is being requested for medical reasons (for example, veteran must move to FL due to weather related disabilities,) any and all medical documentation must be shown and signed by the physician.
Bridging Hearts - This grant gives a higher monetary value to the veteran or family in need. With this grant, it is used for combat veterans.
Grant A Wish - This grant program is for veterans across the board (non combat veterans) you still have to be a veteran who has served more than 180days not to include training. The monetary value is set at $250.00
Our programs are funded through donations and fundraising only. We are not state or federally funded. An investigator will review the grants to verify accuracy and truth to your request. There will also be a home visit by the investigator. Please see our Grant Guidelines for further information regarding such programs.
Grant Request Guidelines
Each applicant is required to meet the specific guidelines. WNYHeroes offers our grants to Veterans and their immediate dependents in need. However, being a Veteran DOES NOT entitle you to receive these benefits without meeting the specific requirements stated in our guidelines.
- Applicants must reside in one of the eight counties of WNY.
- Applicants must submit all paperwork filled out completely, correctly, and include ALL required documentation. Incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
- A cover letter detailing the reason or need for this grant request must be submitted along with your application.
- Must provide member 4 copy of your DD-214 (Copy number can be found in the lower right hand corner.) If you do not have a copy, please visit this website at http://vetrecs.archives.gov. Be advised that this process can take 7-10 days.
- In order to be considered for this grant, applicants must have served a minimum 180 days active duty, this does not include training.
- Applicants must have been honorably discharged. Under honorable conditions will be considered on a case by case basis at the discretion of the WNYHeroes grant committee.
- All grants are subject to pre-approval through investigation. If your information is incorrect and WNYHeroes has no way of contacting you via phone or home visit, your application will be discarded. Please make sure all information is correct. We are NOT case managers and it is not the duty of our committee to chase down those who apply and fill in missing blanks. If your application is not filled out correctly, it will NOT be reviewed.
- If an applicant is receiving VA compensation and/or SSD, copies of the award letters showing % and monthly amount must be submitted. If this is not done, but found out during our investigation, WNYHeroes will look at this as failure to be honest and automatically deny request. Receiving these benefits will not negatively influence our decision. However, we work in conjunction with other funding Veteran organizations. You must disclose if you are receiving financial assistance from any other organization on part B of your application.
- Grant approvals are made on a case by case basis. If in our pre-approval investigation, it is found that one Veteran is in considerably more financial distress than another, that veteran/family will take precedence.
- All other factors being equal, grants are awarded first to those with families; WNYHeroes defines a family as Veteran, spouse and/or child(ren).
- WNYHeroes gives preference to grant requests where the greatest need is demonstrated AND grant payments must be made directly to a utility company, landlord, mortgage company, etc., on behalf of the Veteran. Applicants who submit copies of past due bills (mortgage, rent, gas, electric, water) in the name of Veteran (or spouse), with matching accurate account numbers, and current address, will be given priority.
- WNYHeroes offers assistance with life sustaining needs. WNYHeroes will NOT pay for the following:
- Car payments, Car Insurance or any auto repairs
- Television, Cable or Internet service
- Legal fees, Traffic Tickets, Child support payments
- Cell phones
- Education bills, these are covered through Post 911 bill, Vocational Rehab or GI bill
- We assist with heating bills, but will not cover purchase or repairs of furnaces
- Additional general guidelines are as follows:
- Grants are reviewed on Wednesdays and approved on Fridays providing applicant supplies and meets all required guidelines, NO EXCEPTIONS. WNYHeroes is donation driven. If funds are available, grants will be satisfied. WNYHeroes is NOT State or Federally funded.
- WNYHeroes reserves the right to deny grants if guidelines are not met.
- WNYHeroes is not an entitlement program.
- All grants must be submitted with a letter further detailing the reason for applying and need for grant.
- If grant request is satisfied, Veterans are not eligible to reapply for another two (2) years.
- Must submit copy of Military I.D, VA card, Driver’s License or other type of photo ID.
- WNYHeroes requires documentation in the name of the veteran (or spouse) to prove delinquency in mortgage, or utilities. If requesting assistance with rent, WNYHeroes requires a letter from landlord proving delinquency.
- Please utilize the checklist provided in this grant request. This will assure your request is looked at and considered expeditiously.
- Once your application is complete, Please fill out the additional applications if applicable. These include our Adopt a Veteran Family program which assists our Veteran families with children during the Holiday Season with gifts and food. This can be a stressful time for our Veteran’s and if WNYHeroes can help ease their burden, we will do so. We also encourage you to fill out our Volunteer application. WNYHeroes does not require repayment of any grants. However, we are donation and volunteer driven and if you could give some of your time, not only would WNYHeroes greatly appreciate it, but you will also be helping your fellow Veterans still in need.
Grant Application Process
Individuals that meet the above grant guidelines may submit a grant application form to WNYHeroes, Inc. by completing the grant application form and submitting it to the Organization via mail. The WNYHeroes grant committee of the Board of Directors reviews the grant applications and makes the final decisions regarding funding applications. Applicants will receive a written notification or phone call by the organization regarding funding. All applicants are subject to review and background investigation. All applicants are reviewed monthly at board meetings; all meetings are every second Thursday of the month. Any applicants, who send in applications AFTER, will be reviewed the following month. Please keep in mind that these grant programs are funded through donations and fundraising.
Grant Request Form
Please fill out the Grant Request Form the best of your knowledge and send it to WNY Heroes, 2809 Wehrle Drive, Suite #8, Williamsville, NY 14221. We will have someone from WNYHeroes.org contact you shortly to discuss how we might be able to assist you.
Click here to download the Grant Request Form.
WILLIAM E. KRAMP, JR. MEMORAL SCHOLARSHIP
Click here to download guidelines and application form.
Other Applications & Forms
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, download our Volunteer application and email to: Heroes@wnyheroes.org or fax to: 716-630-6023 or mail to: WNY Heroes, Inc. 2809 Wehrle Drive, Suite 8, Williamsville, NY 14221 OR contact us today at 716-630-5020.